/*bootstrap*/ My Maugham Collection Concordance Library: The Narrow Corner – XI

The Narrow Corner – XI

Novels > The Narrow Corner >


It was between one and two in the morning. Dr. Saunders sat in a deck-chair. The skipper was asleep in the cabin and Fred had taken his mattress forward. It was very still. The stars were so bright that the shape of the island was very distinctly outlined against the night. Distance is less an affair of space than of time and though they had gone but five and forty miles it seemed to the doctor that Takana was very far away. London was at the other end of the world. He had a fleeting vision of Piccadilly Circus, with its bright lights, the crowd of buses, cars and taxis, and the crowd that surged when the theatres disgorged their audiences. There was a part that in his day they called the Front, the street on the north side that led from Shaftesbury Avenue to the Charing Cross Road, where from eleven to twelve people walked up and down in a serried throng. That was before the war. There was a sense of adventure in the air. Eyes met and then.… The doctor smiled. He did not regret the past; he regretted nothing. Then his wandering thoughts hovered over the bridge at Fu-chou, the bridge over the Min River, from which you saw the fishermen in the barges below fishing with cormorants; rickshaws crossed the bridge, and coolies bearing heavy loads, and the innumerable Chinese walked to and fro. On the right bank as you looked downstream was the Chinese City with its crowded houses and its temples. The schooner showed no light and the doctor only saw it in the darkness because he knew that it was there. All was silent on board. But in the hold where the pearl shell was piled, on one of the wooden bunks along the side, lay the dying diver. The doctor attached small value to human life. Who, that had lived so long amid those teeming Chinese where it was held so cheap, could have much feeling about it? He was a Japanese, the diver, and probably a Buddhist. Transmigration? Look at the sea: wave follows wave, it is not the same wave, yet one causes another and transmits its form and movement. So the beings travelling through the world are not the same to-day and to-morrow, nor in one life the same as in another; and yet it is the urge and the form of the previous lives that determine the character of those that follow. A reasonable belief but an incredible. But was it any more incredible than that so much striving, such a variety of accidents, so many miraculous hazards should have combined, through the long æons of time, to produce from the primeval slime at long last this man who, by means of Flexner’s bacillus, was aimlessly snuffed out? Dr. Saunders thought it odd, but natural, senseless certainly, but he had long made himself at home in the futility of things. Of course the spirit was a difficulty. Did that cease to exist when the matter which was its instrument dissolved? In that lovely night, his thoughts flowing without purpose, like birds, sea-gulls, wheeling over the sea, rising and falling as the wind took them, he could not but keep an open mind.

There was the sound of shuffling steps on the companion and the skipper appeared. The stripe of his pyjamas was bold enough to tell against the darkness.

“Captain?”

“It’s me. I thought I’d come up for a breath of air.” He sank into the chair by the doctor’s side. “Had your smoke?”

“Yes.”

“I’ve never took to it meself. I’ve known a good many as did, though. Never seemed to do ’em much ’arm. Settles the stomach, they say. One fellow I knew went all to pieces. Skipper of one of Butterfield’s boats on the Yang-tze at one time. Good position and everything. They thought a rare lot of ’im. Sent him ’ome once to get cured, but ’e took to it again the moment ’e come back. Ended up as a tout for a fantan ’ouse. Used to ’ang about the docks at Shanghai and cadge ’alf-dollars.”

They were silent for a while. Captain Nichols sucked a briar pipe.

“Seen anythin’ of Fred?”

“He’s sleeping on deck.”

“Funny thing about that paper. He didn’t want you and me to read somethin’.”

“What d’you suppose he did with it?”

“Dropped it overboard.”

“What’s it all about?”

The skipper gave a low chuckle.

“Believe me, or believe me not, I don’t know any more than you do.”

“I’ve lived in the East long enough to know that it’s better to mind my own business.”

But the skipper was inclined to be confidential. His digestion was not troubling him and after three or four hours of good sleep he felt very wide awake.

“There’s somethin’ fishy about it, I know that, but I’m like you, doc, I’m all for mindin’ me own business. Ask no questions an’ you’ll be told no lies. That’s what I say, an’ if you get a chance of makin’ a bit of money, take it quick.” The skipper gave his pipe a pull. “You won’t let this go any further, will you?”

“Not on your life.”

“Well, it’s like this. I was in Sydney. I ’adn’t ’ad a job for the best part of two years. And not for the want of tryin’, mind you. Just bad luck. First-rate seaman I am and got a lot of experience. Steam or sail, I don’t mind what it is. You’d think they’d jump at me. But no. I’m a married man too. Things got so bad my old woman ’ad to go into service. I didn’t ’alf like it, I can tell you, but there, I just ’ad to lump it. I ’ad a roof over me ’ead and three meals a day, she give me that all right, but when it come to lettin’ me ’ave ’alf a dollar to go to the pictures and get one or two drinks, no, sir. An’ nag. Never been married, ’ave you?”

“No.”

“Well, I don’t blame you. They’re near, you know. Women can’t bear partin’ with their money. I been married twenty years, and it’s been nag, nag, nag all the time. Very superior woman, my missus, that’s what begun the trouble, she thought she demeaned ’erself by marryin’ me. Her father was a big draper up in Liverpool, and she never let me forget it. She blamed me because I couldn’t get a job. Said I liked bein’ on the beach. Lazy, idle loafer she called me and she said she was fair sick of workin’ ’erself to the bone to give me board and lodgin’ and if I didn’t get a billet soon I could just get out and shift for meself. I give you my word, sometimes I just ’ad to ’old on to meself like grim death not to give her a sock on the jaw, lady though she was, and no one knows that better than what I do. D’you know Sydney?”

“No, I’ve never been there.”

“Well, one night I was just standin’ around in a bar down by the ’arbour I used to go to sometimes. I ’adn’t ’ad a drink all day, and I was just parched; my dyspepsia was somethin’ awful, and I was feelin’ pretty low. I ’adn’t got a penny in me pocket, me what’s commanded more ships than you can count on the fingers of your two ’ands, and I couldn’t go ’ome. I knew the missus’d start on me, and she’d give me a bit of cold mutton for me supper, though she knows it’s the death of me, and she’d go on and on, always the lady, if you know what I mean, but just nasty, cuttin’ and superior-like, never raisin’ her voice, but not a minute’s peace. An’ if I was to lose me temper and tell ’er to go to hell, she’d just draw ’erself up and say: ‘None of your foul language ’ere, Captain, if you please. I may ’ave married a common sailor, but I will be treated like a lady.’ ”

Captain Nichols lowered his voice and leant over in a very confidential manner.

“Now this is quite infra dig., you know what I mean, just between you and me: you don’t know where you are with women. They don’t behave like ’uman beings. Would you believe it, I’ve run away from ’er four times. You would think a woman’d see what you meant after that, wouldn’t you?”

“You would.”

“But no. Every time she’s followed me. Of course, once she knew where I’d gone, and it was easy, but the others she didn’t know any more than the man in the moon. I’d ’ave bet every penny I ’ad in the world that she wouldn’t find me. Like lookin’ for a needle in a bundle of ’ay, it was. An’ then one day she’d walk up, quite cool, as if she seen me the day before, and not a ’ow d’you do or a fancy seein’ you or anythin’ like that, but: ‘You want a shave if you ask me, Captain’ or: ‘Them trousers of yours is a disgrace, Captain.’ … I don’t care who it is, it’s the kind of thing to break anyone’s nerve.”

Captain Nichols was silent and his eyes swept the empty sea. In that lucid night you saw quite clearly the thin sharp line of the horizon.

“This time I been an’ gone an’ done the trick, and I ’ave got away from ’er. She don’t know where I am and she can’t find out, but I give you my word I wouldn’t be surprised if she was to come rowin’ over that sea in a dinghy, all neat and tidy, she’s always the lady to look at, I will say that for ’er, and come on board and just say to me: ‘What’s that nasty, filthy tobacco you’re smokin’, Captain? You know, I can’t abide anythin’ but Player’s Navy Cut.’ It’s me nerves. That’s what’s at the bottom of my dyspepsia if the truth was only known. I remember, once I went to see a doctor in Singapore as ’ad been very strongly recommended to me and ’e wrote a lot of stuff in a book, you know ’ow doctors do, and he put a cross down. Well, I didn’t ’alf like the look of that, so I said to ’im, ‘I say, doctor,’ I says, ‘what’s that cross mean?’ ‘Oh,’ he says, ‘I always put a cross when I ’ave reason to suspect domestic unpleasantness.’ ‘Oh, I see,’ I says; ‘well, you’ve ’it the nail on the ’ead, doctor; I bear a cross all right.’ Clever fellow ’e was, but ’e never done my dyspepsia much good.”

“Socrates suffered from the same sort of affliction, Captain, but I never heard that it affected his digestion.”

“Who was ’e?”

“An honest man.”

“Much good it did ’im, I lay.”

“In point of fact, it didn’t.”

“You’ve got to take things as you find ’em, I say, and if you’re too particular you won’t get anywhere.”

Dr. Saunders laughed in his heart. It appealed to his sense of humour to think of this mean and unscrupulous blackguard in abject terror of his wife. It was the triumph of spirit over matter. He wondered what she looked like.

“I was tellin’ you about Fred Blake,” the skipper continued, after a pause to relight his pipe. “Well, as I was sayin’, I was in that bar. I said good evenin’ to one or two chaps, cordial like, you know, and they said good evenin’ to me and looked the other way. You could see them just sayin’ to theirselves: ‘There’s that bum again, cadgin’ around for drinks; ’e ain’t goin’ to get one out of me.’ You can’t wonder I was feelin’ pretty low. Humiliating, that’s what it was, for a man as ’ad been in a good position like what I ’ave. It’s terrible ’ow near a fellow can be with ’is money when he knows you ain’t got none. The boss give me a dirty look and I ’alf thought he was going to ask me what I’d ’ave, and then when I said I’d wait a bit, ’e’d say, well, I’d better wait outside. I began talkin’ to one or two chaps I didn’t know, but they wasn’t what you’d call cordial. I cracked a joke or two, but I couldn’t get ’em laughin’, and they made it pretty plain that I was buttin’ in. And then I saw a fellow come in I knew. Big bully of a chap. What they call a larrikin in Australia. Name of Ryan. You ’ad to keep in with him. He ’ad something to do with politics. Always ’ad plenty of money. He lent me five bob once. Well, I didn’t think ’e’d want to see me, so I pretended I didn’t recognise ’im and just went on talkin’. But I was watchin’ ’im out of the corner of me eye. He looked round and then ’e come right up to me.

“ ‘Good evenin’, Captain,’ he says, very friendly like. ‘How’s the world been treatin’ you these days?’

“ ‘Rotten,’ I says.

“ ‘Still lookin’ for a job?’

“ ‘Yes,’ I says.

“ ‘What’ll you ’ave?’ he says.

“I ’ad a beer and ’e ’ad a beer. It pretty near saved my life. But you know, I’m not much of a one for believin’ in miracles. I wanted that beer pretty bad, but I knew just as well as I know I’m talkin’ to you, that Ryan wasn’t givin’ it me for nothin’. He’s one of them ’earties, you know; slaps you on the back and laughs at your jokes as though he’d fair bust, and it’s, “ ’Ullo, where ’ave you been ’idin’ yourself,’ and, ‘My missus is a grand little woman and you should see my kiddies’ and all that; and then all the time ’e’s watchin’ you and ’is eyes look right through you. It takes in the mugs. ‘Good old Ryan,’ they say; ‘one of the best.’ There are no flies on me, doc. You don’t catch me so easy as that. And while I was drinkin’ my beer I said to myself: ‘Now, then, old boy, you keep your eyes skinned. He wants something.’ But of course I didn’t let on. I told ’im a yarn or two and ’e just laughed ’is ’ead off.

“ ‘You’re a caution, Captain,’ ’e said; ‘great old sport, that’s what you are. Finish your beer and we’ll ’ave another. I could listen to you talkin’ all night.’

“Well, I finished my beer and I saw ’e was goin’ to order another.

“ ‘Look ’ere, Bill,’ he says: well, my name’s Tom, but I didn’t say nothing. I saw ’e was tryin’ to be friendly. ‘Look ’ere, Bill,’ he says, ‘there’s too many people round ’ere, one simply can’t ’ear oneself talk, and you never know who’s listenin’ to what you say. I’ll tell you what we’ll do.’ He called the boss. ‘Look ’ere, George, come ’ere a minute.’ And up he comes with a run. ‘Look ’ere, George, me and my friend we want to ’ave a little quiet yarn about old times. What about that room of yours?’

“ ‘My office? All right. You can go in there if you want to, and welcome.’

“ ‘That’s the ticket. And you bring us a couple of beers.’

“Well, we walks round and we goes into the office, and George brings us a couple of beers ’imself. In person; gives me a nod, ’e does. And George goes out. Ryan shut the door after ’im and ’e looked at the window to see it was shut all right. Said ’e couldn’t stand a draught at any price. I didn’t know what ’e was after, and I thought I’d better get straight with ’im at once.

“ ‘Look ’ere, Ryan,’ I says; ‘I’m sorry about that five bob you lent me. It’s been on me mind ever since, but the truth is I’ve ’ad all I can do just to keep body and soul together.’

“ ‘Forget it,’ he says. ‘What’s five bob? I know you’re all right. You’re a fine feller, Bill. What’s the good of ’avin’ money if you can’t lend it to a pal when ’e’s down on his luck?’

“ ‘Well, I’d do the same by you, Ryan,’ says I, takin’ my cue from ’im. To listen to us you’d ’ave thought us a pair of brothers.”

Captain Nichols chuckled as he recalled the scene they had played. He took an artist’s delight in his own rascality.

“ ‘Chin, chin,’ says I.

“We both ’ad a drink of beer. ‘Now look ’ere, Bill,’ says ’e, wipin’ ’is mouth with the back of ’is ’and, ‘I been makin’ enquiries about you. Good seaman and all that, ain’t you?’ ‘None better,’ says I. ‘If you ain’t ’ad a job for some time I reckon it’s more by bad luck than bad management.’ ‘That’s right,’ says I. ‘Now I’m going to give you a surprise, Bill,’ says ’e. ‘I’m going to offer you a job meself.’ ‘I’ll take it,’ says I. ‘No matter what it is.’ ‘That’s the spirit,’ says ’e. ‘I knew I could count on you.’

“ ‘Well, what is it?’ I ask ’im.

“He give me a look, and though ’e was smilin’ at me as if I was his long lost brother and ’e loved me like anything, ’e was lookin’ at me pretty ’ard. It was no jokin’ matter, I could see that.

“ ‘Can you keep your mouth shut?’ ’e asks me.

“ ‘Like a clam,’ says I.

“ ‘That’s good,’ says ’e. ‘Now what d’you say to takin’ a tidy little pearling lugger, you know, one of them ketches they ’ave at Thursday Island and Port Darwin, and cruisin’ about the islands for a few months?’

“ ‘Sounds all right to me,’ I says.

“ ‘Well, that’s the job.’

“ ‘Tradin’?’ I says.

“ ‘No, just pleasure.’ ”

Captain Nichols sniggered.

“I nearly laughed outright when ’e said that, but one ’as to be careful, lot of people ’ave no sense of humour, so I just looked as grave as a judge. He give me another look and I could see ’e could be an ugly customer if you put ’is back up.

“ ‘I’ll tell you ’ow it is,’ ’e says. ‘Young fellow I know been workin’ too ’ard. His dad’s an old pal of mine, and I’m doin’ this to please ’im, see? He’s a man in a very good position. Got a lot of influence in one way and another.’

“He ’ad another drink of beer. I kep’ me eyes on ’im, but I never said a word. Not a syllable.

“ ‘The old man’s in a rare state. Only kid, you know. Well, I know what it is with me own kids. If one of ’em gets a pain in ’is big toe, I’m upset for the day.’

“ ‘You don’t ’ave to tell me,’ I says. ‘I got a daughter meself.’

“ ‘Only child?’ he says.

“I nodded.

“ ‘Grand thing, children,’ he says. ‘Nothin’ like ’em to bring ’appiness in a man’s life.’

“ ‘You’re right there,’ I says.

“ ‘Always delicate, this boy’s been,’ ’e says, shakin’ ’is ’ead. ‘Got a touch of the lungs. The doctors say the best thing ’e can do, is to ’ave a cruise on a sailin’ ship. Well, ’is dad didn’t ’alf like the idea of ’is takin’ a passage on any old ship and ’e ’eard of this ’ere ketch and ’e bought her. You see, like that, you’re not tied down and you can go anywhere. Nice easy life, that’s what ’e wants the boy to ’ave; I mean, you don’t ’ave to ’urry. You choose your own weather an’ when you get to some island what looks like you could stay there for a bit, why, you just stay. There’s dozens of them islands up between Australia and China, they tell me.’

“ ‘Thousands,’ says I.

“ ‘An’ the boy’s got to be kep’ quiet. Essential, that is. His dad wants you to keep away from where there’s a lot of people.’

“ ‘That’s all right,’ says I, lookin’ as innocent as a new-born babe. ‘And ’ow long for?’

“ ‘I don’t exactly know,’ says he. ‘Depends on the boy’s ’ealth. Two or three months, maybe, or maybe a year.’

“ ‘I see,’ says I; ‘and what do I get out of it?’

“ ‘Two ’undred quid when your passenger comes on board, and two ’undred quid when you comes back.”

“ ‘Make it five ’undred down and I’m game,’ says I. He never says a thing, but ’e give me a dirty look. And ’e just shoved his jaw out at me. My word, ’e looked a beauty. If there’s one thing I got it’s tact. He could make things pretty unpleasant for me if ’e wanted to. I knew that, and I ’ad a feeling that if I didn’t take care ’e would want to. So I just shrugged me shoulders, careless like, and laughed. ‘Oh, well, I don’t care about the money,’ I says. ‘Money means nothin’ to me, never ’as. If it ’ad I’d be one of the richest men in Australia to-day. I’ll take what you say. Anythin’ to oblige a friend.’

“ ‘Good old Bill,’ says ’e.

“ ‘Where’s the ketch now?’ says I. ‘I’d like to go and ’ave a look at her.’

“ ‘Oh, she’s all right. Friend of mine just brought her down from Thursday Island to sell ’er. She’s in grand shape. She ain’t in Sydney. She’s up the coast a few miles.’

“ ‘What about a crew?’

“ ‘Niggers from Torres Straits. They brought ’er down. All you’ve got to do is to get on board and sail away.’

“ ‘When would you want me to sail?’

“ ‘Now.’

“ ‘Now?’ says I, surprised. ‘Not to-night?’

“ ‘Yes, to-night. I got a car waitin’ down the street. I’ll drive you over to where she’s lying.’

“ ‘What’s the ’urry?’ I says, smiling, but giving ’im a look as much to say I thought it damned fishy.

“ ‘The boy’s dad’s a big business man. Always does things like that.’

“ ‘Politician?’ says I.

“I was beginning to put two and two together, so to speak.

“ ‘My aunt,’ says Ryan.

“ ‘But I’m a married man,’ says I. ‘If I just go off like this without sayin’ so much as a word to nobody, my old woman’ll be makin’ enquiries all over the place. She’ll want to know where I am and when she can’t find nobody to tell her she’ll go to the police.’

“He looked at me pretty sharp when I said this. I knew he didn’t ’alf like the idea of ’er goin’ to the police.

“ ‘It’ll look funny, a master mariner disappearin’ like this. I mean, it ain’t like as if I was a blackfellow or a Kanaka. Of course I don’t know if there’s anyone ’as reason to be inquisitive. There’s a lot of nosey-parkers about, especially just now with the election comin’ on.’

“I couldn’t ’elp thinkin’ I got a good one in there, about the election, but ’e didn’t let on a thing. His great ugly face might ’a’ been a blank wall.

“ ‘I’ll go and see ’er meself,’ ’e said.

“I ’ad me own game to play, too, and I wasn’t goin’ to let a chance like this pass me by.

“ ‘Tell ’er the first mate of a steamer broke his neck just as she was going out and they took me on and I didn’t ’ave time to go ’ome and she’ll ’ear from me next from Cape Town.’

“ ‘That’s the ticket,’ says ’e.

“ ‘An’ if she kicks up a racket give ’er a passage to Cape Town and a five-pound note. That’s not askin.’ much.’

“He laughed then, honest, and ’e said ’e’d do it.

“He finished ’is beer and I finished mine.

“ ‘Now then,’ says ’e, ‘if you’re ready we’ll be startin’.’ He looked at ’is watch. ‘You meet me at the corner of Market Street in ’alf an hour. I’ll drive by in my car and you just jump in. You go out first. No need for you to go out by the bar. There’s a door at the end of the passage. You take that and you’ll find yourself in the street.’

“ ‘O.K.,’ says I, and I takes me ’at.

“ ‘There’s just one thing I’d like to say to you,’ ’e says, as I was going. ‘An’ this refers to now and later. If you don’t want a knife in your back or a bullet in your guts you better not try no monkey tricks. See?’

“He said it quite pleasant, but I’m no fool, and I knew ’e meant it.

“ ‘Don’t you ’ave no fear,’ says I. ‘When a chap treats me like a gentleman, I behave like one.’ Then very casual like, ‘Young feller on board, I suppose?’

“ ‘No, ’e ain’t. Comin’ on board later.’

“I walked out and I got into the street. I walked along to where he said. It was only a matter of two ’undred yards. I thought to meself, if ’e wanted me to wait there for ’alf an hour it was because he ’ad to go and see someone and say what ’ad ’appened. I couldn’t ’elp wonderin’ what the police’d say if I told ’em somethin’ funny was up and it’d be worth their while to follow the car and ’ave a look at this ketch. But I thought p’raps it wouldn’t be worth my while. It’s all very well to do a public duty, and I don’t mind bein’ in well with the cops any more than anyone else does, but it wouldn’t do me much good if I got a knife in me belly for me pains. And there was no four ’undred quid to be got out of them. P’raps it’s just as well I didn’t try any ’anky-panky on with Ryan, because I see a chap on the other side of the street, standin’ in the shadow as if ’e didn’t want no one to see ’im, and it looked to me as if ’e was watchin’ me. I walked over to ’ave a look at ’im and ’e walked away when he saw me comin’, then I walked back again and he come and stood just where ’e was before. Funny. It was all damned funny. The thing what grizzled me was that Ryan ’adn’t shown more confidence in me. If you’re goin’ to trust a man, trust ’im, that’s what I say. I want you to understand I didn’t mind its bein’ funny. I seen a lot of funny things in my day and I take ’em as they come.”

Dr. Saunders smiled. He began to understand Captain Nichols. He was a man who found the daily round of honest life a trifle humdrum. He needed a spice of crookedness to counteract the depression his dyspepsia caused him. His blood ran faster, he felt better in health, his vitality was heightened when his fingers dabbled in crime. The alertness he must then exercise to protect himself from harm took his mind off the processes of his lamentable digestion. If Dr. Saunders was somewhat lacking in sympathy, he made up for it by being uncommonly tolerant. He thought it no business of his to praise or condemn. He was able to recognise that one was a saint and another a villain, but his consideration of both was fraught with the same cool detachment.

“I couldn’t ’elp laughin’ as I thought of meself standin’ there,” continued the skipper, “and startin’ off on a cruise without so much as a change of clothes, me shavin’ tackle or a toothbrush. You wouldn’t find many men as’d be prepared to do that and not give a tinker’s cuss.”

“You wouldn’t,” said the doctor.

“And then I thought of the face my old woman’d make when Ryan told ’er I’d sailed. I can just see ’er toddlin’ off to Cape Town by the next ship. She’ll never find me no more. This time I ’ave got away from her. And who’d ’ave thought it’d come like that just when I was thinkin’ I couldn’t stand another day of it. If it wasn’t Providence, I don’t know what it was.”

“Its ways are always said to be inscrutable.”

“Don’t I know it? Brought up a Baptist, I was. ‘Not a sparrow shall fall—’ you know ’ow it goes. I seen it come true over and over again. And then after I’d been waitin’ there a bit, a good ’alf hour, a car come along and stops just by me. ‘Jump in,’ says Ryan, and off we go. The roads are terrible bad round Sydney and we was bumpin’ up and down like a cork in the water. Pretty fast he drove.

“ ‘What about stores and all that?’ I says to Ryan.

“ ‘It’s all on board,’ ’e says. ‘You got enough to last you three months.’

“I didn’t know where ’e was goin’. Dark night and I couldn’t see a thing; it must ’ave been gettin’ on for midnight.

“ ‘Here we are,’ ’e says, and stops. ‘Get out.’

“I got out and ’e got out after me. He turns off ’is lights. I knew we was pretty near the sea, but I couldn’t see a yard in front of me. He ’ad an electric torch.

“ ‘You follow me,’ ’e says, ‘an’ look where you’re goin’.’

“We walked a bit. A sort of pathway there was. I’m pretty nimble on me feet, but I nearly come arse over tip two or three times. ‘Nice thing if I break my bloody leg goin’ down’ ere,’ I says to meself. I wasn’t ’alf sorry when we come to the bottom and I felt the beach under me feet. You could see the water, but you couldn’t see nothin’ else. Ryan gave a whistle. Someone on the water shouted, but low, if you know what I mean, and Ryan flashed his torch to show where we was. Then I ’eard oars splashin’ and in a minute or two a couple of blackfellows rowed up in the dinghy. Ryan and me, we got in, and they pushed off. If I’d ’ad twenty quid on me I wouldn’t ’ave given much for my chances of ever seein’ Australia no more. Australia felix, by gum. We rowed for about ten minutes, I should say, and then we come alongside the ketch.

“ ‘What d’you think of ’er?’ asks Ryan, when we got on board.

“ ‘Can’t see much,’ says I. ‘Tell you more in the morning.’

“ ‘In the morning you got to be well out to sea,’ says Ryan.

“ ‘When’s this poor invalid boy comin’?’ says I.

“ ‘Pretty soon now,’ says Ryan. ‘You go down into the cabin and light the lamp and ’ave a look round. We’ll ’ave a bottle of beer. Here’s a box of matches.’

“ ‘Suits me,’ I says, and down I goes.

“I couldn’t see much, but I knew the way about by instinct. And I didn’t go down so quick I couldn’t ’ave a look behind me. I twigged he was up to somethin’. I see ’im give three or four flashes with the torch. “Ullo,’ I says to meself, ‘someone’s watchin’,’ but if it was ashore or on sea, I couldn’t say. Then Ryan comes down and I ’ad a look round. He fished out a bottle of beer for ’isself and a bottle of beer for me.

“ ‘The moon’ll be gettin’ up soon,’ he says. ‘There’s a nice little breeze.’

“ ‘Startin’ right away, are we?’ I says.

“ ‘Sooner the better, after the boy’s come on board, and just keep goin’, see?’

“ ‘Look ’ere, Ryan,’ I says, ‘I ain’t got so much as a safety razor with me.’

“ ‘Grow a beard then, Bill,’ he answers. ‘The orders is, no landin’ anywhere till you get to New Guinea. If you want to go ashore at Merauke, you can.’

“ ‘Dutch, ain’t it?’ He nods. ‘Look here, Ryan,’ I says. ‘You know I wasn’t born yesterday. I can’t ’elp thinkin’, can I? What’s the good, why don’t you come out with it traight and tell me what it’s all about?’

“ ‘Bill, old boy,’ ’e says very friendly like, ‘you drink your beer and don’t you ask no questions. I know I can’t ’elp you thinkin’, but you just believe what you’re told or I swear to God I’ll gouge your bloody eyes out meself.’

“ ‘Well, that’s straight enough,’ says I, laughing.

“ ‘Here’s luck,’ says ’e.

“He took a swig of beer and so did I.

“ ‘Plenty of it?’ I asked.

“ ‘Enough to last you. I know you’re not a soaker. I wouldn’t ’ave given you the job if I ’adn’t known that.’

“ ‘No,’ I says, ‘I like me little drop of beer, but I know when I’ve ’ad enough. What about the money?’

“ ‘I got it ’ere,’ ’e says. ‘I’ll give it you before I get off.’

“Well, we sat talkin’ of one thing and another. I ask ’im what crew there was and a lot like that, and he ask me if I’d ’ave a job gettin’ out at night and I says, no, I could sail the boat with me eyes shut, and then suddenly I ’eard something. I got sharp ears, I ’ave, and there ain’t much goin’ on that I miss that way.

“ ‘There’s a boat comin’,’ I says.

“ ‘And about time, too,’ ’e says. ‘I got to get back to my missus and the kids to-night.’

“ ‘Better go on deck, ’adn’t we?’ I says.

“ ‘No necessity at all,’ ’e says.

“ ‘All right,’ I says.

“We just sat there listenin’. Sounded like a dinghy. She come up and give a bump on the side. Then someone come on board. He come down the companion. All dressed up he was, blue serge suit, collar and tie, brown shoes. Not like what ’e is now.

“ ‘This is Fred,’ says Ryan, givin’ me a look.

“ ‘Fred Blake,’ says the young fellow.

“ ‘This is Captain Nichols. First-rate seaman. He’s all right.’

“The kid give me a look and I give ’im one. He didn’t look exactly what you’d call delicate, I must say, picture of ’ealth, I’d ’ave said. Bit jumpy. If you’d asked me I’d ’ave said he was scared.

“ ‘Bad luck your crockin’ up like this,’ I says, very affable like. ‘The sea air’ll pull you together, believe me. Nothin’ like a cruise to build up a young fellow’s constitution.’

“I never see anyone go so red as ’e done when I said that. Ryan looked at ’im an’ ’e looked at me and laughed. Then ’e says ’e’d tip over the dibs and be gettin’ off. He ’ad it in his belt and ’e took it off and paid it over to me, two ’undred golden sovereigns. I ’adn’t seen gold in donkey’s years. Only the banks ’ad it. Seemed to me that whoever it was wanted to get this ’ere boy out of the way, ’e must be pretty high up.

“ ‘Throw in the belt, Ryan,’ I says. ‘I can’t leave a lot of money like that lyin’ about.’

“ ‘All right,’ says ’e, ‘take the belt. Well, good luck.’ And before I could say a word he was out of the cabin and ’e’d popped over the side and the boat was movin’ away. They wasn’t takin’ no chances of my seein’ who was in it.”

“And what happened then?”

“Well, I put the money back in the belt and strapped it round me.”

“Devil of a weight, isn’t it?”

“When we come to Merauke we bought a couple of boxes and I’ve hid mine away so as nobody knows where it is. But if things go on like they are, I’ll be able to carry all what’s left without so much as feelin’ it.”

“What d’you mean by that?”

“Well, we sailed all the way up the coast, inside the Bank, of course, fine weather and all that, nice breeze, and I said to the kid: ‘What about a game of cribbage?’ Had to pass the time somehow, you know, and I knew ’e’d got a good bit of money. I didn’t see why I shouldn’t ’ave some of it. I’ve played cribbage all me life, and I thought I got a soft thing on. I believe the devil’s in them cards. D’you know, I ’aven’t ’ad a winnin’ day since we left Sydney. I’ve lost a matter of seventy pounds, I ’ave. And it’s not as if ’e could play. It’s the devil’s own luck he’s got.”

“Perhaps he plays better than you think.”

“Don’t you believe it. What I don’t know about cribbage ain’t worth knowin’. D’you think I’d ’ave took him on if I ’adn’t known that? No, it’s luck, and luck can’t go on for ever. It’s bound to change and then I’ll get back all I’ve lost and all he’s got besides. It’s aggravatin’, of course, but I ain’t worryin’.”

“Has he told you anything about himself?”

“Not a thing. But I’ve put two and two together and I got a pretty shrewd idea what’s at the bottom of it.”

“Oh?”

“There’s politics at the bottom of it or I’ll eat my ’at. If there ’adn’t been Ryan wouldn’t ’ave been mixed up in it. The Government’s pretty rocky in New South Wales. They’re ’angin’ on by their teeth. If there was a scandal they’d go out to-morrow. There’ll ’ave to be an election soon, anyway. They think they’ll get in again, but my belief is it’s a toss-up and I guess they know they can’t take a risk. I shouldn’t be surprised if Fred wasn’t the son of somebody pretty important.”

“Premier, or somebody like that, you mean? Is there one of the Ministers called Blake?”

“Blake’s no more ’is name than it is mine. It’s one of the Ministers all right, and Fred’s ’is son or ’is nephew; and whatever it is, if it come out, he’d lose ’is seat, and my opinion is they all thought it better Fred should be out of the way for a few months.”

“And what d’you think it is he did?”

“Murder, if you ask me.”

“He’s only a kid.”

“Old enough to ’ang.”

+-mymaughamcollection.blogspot.com-+
|                 |                |
|                \|/               |
|               \~|~/              |
|       ,#####\/  | ,\/§§§§        |
|       #  #\./#__|_§_\./          |
|       #  \./ # _|_§  \./         |
|       #  #/  #  | §   \          |
|       #  #   #  | `~§§§§§        |
+--------mmccl.blogspot.com--------+